Wednesday

Review: The Sum of All Kisses by Julia Quinn

 
The Sum Of All Kisses (Smythe-Smith #3)
Released Date: October 29th, 2013 (it’s out now!!!)

Synopsis:

Hugh Prentice has never liked Lady Sarah Pleinsworth, and his opinion is confirmed when he overhears her yammering on about how she must get married this season or she will simply die. He’s never had patience for dramatic females, and the words shy and retiring have never been in Sarah’s vocabulary. Besides, even if he did grow to enjoy her company, it wouldn’t matter. A reckless duel has left this brilliant mathematician with a ruined leg, and now, unable to run, ride, or even waltz, he could never court a woman like Sarah, much less dream of marrying her.
Sarah has never forgiven Hugh for the duel he fought three years earlier, the one that forced her cousin into exile, nearly destroying her family. But even if she could find a way to forgive him, it wouldn’t matter. She doesn’t care that his leg is less than perfect, it’s his personality she can’t stand.
But when the pair is forced to spend a week in close company they discover that opinions–even those firmest held–can, in fact, be altered. And when a kiss leads to two, three and four the mathematician may lose count and the miss may, for the first time, find herself speechless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Review: 

I’ve been waiting for this story for so long I think I totally forgot about it! I’m super happy it’s finally here and I got to revisit some past characters and even more; other characters from other books! (well, kind of) We got to see, well more like referred to, Eloisa Jame’s Hero and Lady from her latest Once Upon a Tower in a very funny scene. Plus one of the unmarried Bridgerton boys made an appearance!!!

But okay back to business…

Hugh the second son of the Marquess of Ramsgate was one secondary character I’ve been waiting for since we first meet him in book two in A Night Like This and referred to in book one, Just Like Heaven. And we first met Sarah in book one and two.

But man, Hugh. He gave me a huge impression in ANLT even if we only got to know his personality or character for a mere second every so chapter and most definitely towards the end of that book, I was hook.  I can say Julia didn’t disappoint me in his story and gosh, he had so much going for him that I had to do an all nighter just to finish this book! He had so much depth and character I didn’t even know if it was the same man I met in book two. I’m not sure if I was disappointed in this but I loved him either way. I just love how he thinks and come up with retorts and sorts!

The story about his family background just touched me. His love for his elder brother Freddie and the memory of his mother was just so touching to me that I just couldn’t help but want more to know more about his brother and hope for many things to bring light to his problems. I am super glad that it developed throughout the book and solved mysteries behind the way he is and so much more but I really did wanted more. I really do want a story for his brother. That was one of the very first thing that caught me as I opened up this book.

Sarah. I’m not sure how to put it but I really liked her in the two previous books. I really did. She had humor and spunk. But in this one, she wasn’t what I thought her to be. Not that I didn’t like her, I Do. I absolutely do. I saw myself in her as she bantered with Hugh and her sisters. Though her actions were questionable, ever tactic thrown her way, every query Hugh threw at her I saw myself countering it and smiling at every answer she gave and threw back at him. She was just so much fun at those moments. And her sisters. I absolutely adore her sisters!  They were so much fun to read and they were the ones to drive the story forward for me. All the funny little tactics and banters, the cute childish complaints and how Francis and Huge are just so adorable together~ Oh I love her the most!
Cons: The ending seemed rushed. Especially their romance and quick to discover love for one another. It was just…. not what I wanted. I was disappointed in this. I wanted more, more of everything from their romance to them examining onto their feelings. It was just too quick.

I also didn’t quite enjoy how much Hugh’s leg was a problem for him. I love him but everything always came down to his injured leg. It’s understandable but, always referring back to it was just too much of a repetition for me. And then there was Sarah’s change of character towards the end of the book. I was pretty sure I didn’t find her to my liking then. I was, annoyed? Sure she was dramatic at the beginning and I was fine with that but she was ever even more dramatic and selfish, irrational towards the end. I was devastate. I was furiously mad at her for not understanding Hugh’s reason in saving her cousin’s life. Furious! Did she not have brains! I thought. I mean you hated him then fell in love and you expected him to just throw your very own first cousin to the dogs for saving him in such a way unimaginable! Agh~ My devastation in her.  And Freddie, I was sad we only got to see little bits of him. Maybe even disappointed towards the end? Trying not to spoil it but he wasn’t there. But yes, the ending was rushed. It was nice but super rushed. And I was hoping for their relationship to have developed more but that didn’t happen.

Over all, I did like this story and enjoyed it very much. It was fun, hilarious, touching, angry mad, and just sweet. Julia Quinn lovers would love it not matter what Just like me, but I did want more. We know for sure Iris is next in line for her story, most likely, with a new hero, but I really want to see Freddie have his story told too. Hopefully we get that if many readers write it into her *wink wink*

I give this 4 out of 5

This ARC was provided by Avon through Edelweiss

No comments:

Post a Comment