Saturday

Review: Sweet Madness by Heather Snow

In stores April 2, 2013

There’s a fine line between love and insanity. 
AN UNTAMED MIND
Ever since her husband’s sudden and tragic death, Lady Penelope Bridgeman has committed herself to studying the maladies of the mind, particularly treating traumatized soldiers of the Napoleonic Wars. It is this expertise that brings the Marquess of Bromwich’s family to her door.
Gabriel Devereaux’s unexpected and unpredictable episodes are unlike any Penelope has studied. The once proud soldier has been left shaken and withdrawn, but she manages to build a fragile trust between them. Strangely, Gabriel seems completely lucid when not in the grips of his mania, and in the calm between bouts, she is surprised by how much she is drawn to him.
Despite his own growing feelings, Gabriel knows that he is fit for no one, and is determined to keep Penelope away from his descent into madness. But even though she knows firsthand the folly of loving a broken man, Penelope cannot stop herself from trying to save him, no matter the cost.


Review:
Oh my goodness~! I can't tell you how long I have been waiting for this book to come out. It has been a long and very good wait in deed for such a great book. Although I did occupy my time with other fabulous readings in between the waiting but it has been worth it! I cannot say how much I love this book. I'm also sorry it took me so long to post up a review though. I took me some days to finish~ life got in the way you know. But here we go!

Lady Penelope Bridgeman, widowed Lady Morton, has been caring for ex-soliders in the hospital founded by her cousin Liliana, now the Countess of Stratford and her husband, in curing and easing the ex-soliders' mind back into society and help them fight their traumatic memories of the war to recovery. Now she has been called on to help her cousin by marriage, Gabriel Devereaux, Marquess of Bromwich, fight his madness and take back the reins of the Marquessate. But she cannot help but fight her own demons at the same time.

Gabriel Devereaux, Marquess of Bromwich, is mad. Or so he and others think; that is until his late cousin's wife appeared in is room at Vickering Place, a sanitarium for the higher ranks of society. He has been in love with her ever since their first dance at her wedding to his cousin. She has given him hope once, of one day finding himself a mate and moving forward with his life and away from memories of the Napoleonic war. But now who would have a madman let along one who's broken and scarred. But as he begins to heal can he also find love too?

I loved how Ms. Snow started the book with Lady Penelope's wedding in the prologue. It was such a great moment to see and catch a glimpse of the two characters together before the start of the story and see what  kind of character they possess.  But also to see their personality and see how well they fit together! I love that the story pulled me into the story in the first pages and kept me on edge even onward till the end of the book. Although I did figure out the "mystery" within a couple of chapters it was still a surprise.

I love the Hero and Heroine! They were made for each other long before they even knew it. Even though I was frustrated with Gabriel at times I understood why he felt certain ways and how hard it was for him deal with being mad in the head. How he only wanted to keep Penelope safe and away from him if his madness were to lash out. I also love that during his healing process he managed to help Pen too. No matter what happens I will still love him even if he were truly mad to the bones! Penelope I adored~ She has such a huge heart and for her to go out of her way to help ex-soldiers fight through their trauma just makes her even more of an angel, especially after the death of her husband. I loved her even more while helping Gabriel, she never faulted him or believed him to ever be mad in the head, she has always believed it to have been from battle fatigue, PTSD in our modern day. She was such a fighter that even when he had lost all hopes she fueled it back up and never gave up till, well, till she was dragged out or kicked out. But even so she will find other ways, even resorting to...well, you'll see. :)

Liliana and Stratford also made the story fabulous. It's so great to see them again and know how they're faring. They had a huge part in this story. I'll have to go back and re-read their story~ I so love them!

This was a super fabulous read and I so hope to see more of Ms. Snow's next work.

This ARC was provided by the author Heather Snow.

1 comment:

  1. You wrote a beautiful review! I received an ARC of Sweet Madness from Heather and have already read half the book. I totally agree with what you wrote. Heather is an exceptional high quality writer. It's a breathtaking high drama, with characters filled with rich and strong emotions!

    ReplyDelete